Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Free Corvette With Purchase ( Sub2 Deal )

Finding treasure is fun! Finding antique bottles lying around in an abandoned house is a joy for me.

My friend Chip and I used to scrounge in abandoned railway stations and old warehouses in Kansas City and find the most fun stuff ever. We scavenged the old dispatcher’s office that had been empty since the 1970’s. I found a hand-made note paper roller that was nailed loosely to the wall. I still have it as a reminder of good times spent scavenging with my friend Chip.

Speaking of Chip, he led me to this secluded little dump outside Olathe, Kansas where we found a rotted box of old, colored glass insulators. I was in heaven. Chip could care less. I still have those insulators. They’re pretty to me. Violet, blue, aqua, pink, brown and white. It’s like Christmas looking at those things. I imagine the history each of those pieces of early artwork disguised as electrical hardware.

The reason I mention all this is that finding treasure is the spice of life. Everyone loves to do it. It’s addictive behavior. Why else would people scour beaches with metal detectors for necklaces and coins...on beaches!!!

Well, Barney Zick wrote once that leaving treasures behind in homes we want to sell will compel buyers subconsciously to buy our houses. They may not even have liked our house the best, but the thought of getting something for free just makes some buyers irrational buyers. We’re talking about leaving pianos, sewing machines, bicycles, rockers and what not. Buyers love free stuff.

My friend John told me once that a week before Christmas one year he had sold three or four houses, but the last one was not selling. So he went to his used car dealer friend and asked if he had any “sexy cars” on the lot. His friend had an old Corvette available. So John bought the Corvette, put it in the garage of the house that wasn’t selling, raised the down payment by a little more than the cost of the car, and had the house sold in two days. He advertised “Free Corvette With Purchase of Home.”

John says he likes to include freebies with his house to make them more attractive. I have always loved this concept. I’ve left antique bicycles and appliances behind before. I’ve also left bedroom sets. It really helps sell a house, when the buyer believes he’s getting something for free.

So, think about what you can “accidentally” leave behind in the next house you try to sell, and see if your days on market are shortened up substantially.

No comments: